Residential Garbage Hopper
The Hopper is responsible for assisting the refuse truck driver on pre-assigned and special routes to pick up garbage, yard waste, or recycling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Picks up solid waste and places it in the back of a rear load garbage truck on specified routes often done manually or by pushing toter to tipper. Lifts and carries trash bags, bulk items and containers to the truck for disposal. Climbs onto and off of the rear truck step to load refuse, waste and carts.
• Operates packing mechanism to compact waste into the truck.
• Provides a safe and Distinguishably Different level of service through courteous and expeditious customer service in all aspects of refuse operation to the general public and customers. Exhibits a positive attitude towards company, customer and municipal goals.
• Ensures garbage and recyclables at residences are picked up and transferred properly; pick up may require using back door.
• Answers questions for residents and directs them to contact Customer Service or appropriate government office for additional information.
• Must comply with all ANSI (American National Standards Institute), OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and company safety polices including Waste 365 Absolute Guidelines.
• Assists Driver in safely backing up the truck by directing the Driver from the ground.
• Cleans behind the compactor blade with shovel and hoe when directed. Sprays and cleans the hopper and truck at the end of each shift or as needed.
• Reports any safety or customer service related issues to driver and supervisor, immediately.
• Performs a variety of manual duties in the clean-up of scattered refuse; Cleans up the area around accidental waste spills and ensures customers containers are replaced properly.
• May be required to work during emergency situations.
• Assists other routes as needed to complete daily work.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Other Job Responsibilities:
• Employees in this job classification must attend and participate in corporation sponsored training courses as assigned.
• Employees in this job classification are responsible for keeping up to date on current technology, as job appropriate, being used by Waste 365.
• Any additional job duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Works in a variety of environment conditions, including wide temperature and weather variations including heat, cold, snow, rain, wind; noise and vibrations, fumes, odors and dust.